But which one???
My much loved Sony Vaio from 2004 with 500 MB RAM and 40 GB hard drive reaches nowadays its performance limit with blogging, emails, picture editing etc. And it is far too heavy to be carried around, plus it has no W-LAN either. However, it has a great screen which makes watching videos on it a real experience. That will be his future, I guess. Unless I find a way to upgrade it, but I am not sure if that works with that model.
So my criteria for buying a successor are:
– getting as much hard drive and RAM space as possible
– a bit smaller format, like 13,3 inch so that I can take it easier with me when traveling
– if possible a good screen (even the brand new Macbook Pro of the boyfriend does not give such a sharp picture)
– Budget? Well, depends – it is the value for money that counts, and if needed I can save up for it for a few months.
These two candidates I really, really like, but I cannot decide between them.
Number 1 – Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.66GHz
– because it is a Mac and I like the Macbook Pro of the boyfriend a lot. I could live with one mainly for two reasons: It boots up and closes down fast, no antivirus malaki – and then I love the back-lit keyboard, so you still see letters when typing let’s say in a slightly dark conference room, or you simply don’t fancy switching on the light already on a late summer evening on the sofa at home. You could practically write in the dark.
– I chose this one above the slightly smaller one cos the price difference is not that much, and when I see how much more hard drive space and RAM is required since 2004, then I thought I rather go for the big version, hoping not to have to buy another one again for that reason in a few years. (Or is this reasoning wrong??)
Number 2 – Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820T
– Hardware capacity and performance comparable with the Macbook Pro above, if not better.
– supposedly a great screen
– Windows 7 allows still access to Office documents with no problem, and writing these
– Half price of the Mac (in that case the price does make me think…)
And being German, I just love this gorgeous video…. Listen to the voice and enjoy the probably best “Denglish” (German/English) product description I ever listened to. It is definitely the fastest (cut) one:
Please – if you do have any experiences, advice on these two or if you know about a third possibility I should consider, then let me know. I would be ever so grateful.
You will be able to edit Office files with a mac, Microsoft Officie is avaliable for OS X. And if you really feel like it, you will be able to run Windows on it as well 😉
If the money isn’t a big problem, why not have a go and try the mac platform? =)
Ich werde in den nächsten Tagen genau das MAcBook Pro bekommen, ich kann dir dann gerne berichten =)
Thanks for your help, Kristoffer & Alex! And @Krisse74 on Twitter.
Mac and having Office on there I didn’t think about. That is an option. Installing Windows as OS on a Mac is rather a bit of abuse, I’d say…. Poor one.
Alex, like we said on Twitter – I would love to hear your verdict!