First of all thanks for some great food inspiration to my colleague Pernilla!
Everyone wants good Friday food, right? Then you should try this recipe and experiment a bit with it.
– a muffins form
– a packet of puff pastry ( ideally with 10 or 12 square slices)
– 1 egg
– a bit of spicy oil, such as chilli oil
– some grated hard cheese with about 30-35 % fat (such as cheddar or here in Sweden “Västerbottenost”)
– some ingredients for a savoury filling (this is where you can be creative!!)
I had 10 slices of square puff pastry, and the fillings I chose to do where these two: 1. a bit of frozen whole-leaf spinach and about 5 slices smoked salmon 2. half of a sweet red peppar and 5 mushrooms, all finely chopped, and almost half a packet of herb cream cheese, such as Philadelphia.
How to put things together: – preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade
– defreeze the puff pastry so that it is really soft
– prepare each compartment of the muffins form with a tiny bit of chilli oil. This will add extra taste and makes the pastries come out easier when they are ready.
– mix an egg in a cup, and then put a thin layer of egg onto each puff pastry plate.
– place the puff pastry like small cups into the compartments of your muffins form
– then place the filling into each puff pastry (I had smoked salmon and spinach in half of these, and then the peppars mixed with mushrooms and philadelphia cheese in the remaining ones)
– top each one of the pstries with one (or more) spoons of the grated hard cheese.
– you can choose to close the the puff pastry pockets or you can choose to leave them open. I closed them and then I put a bit of the egg on top.
– the remaining egg I mixed with some chilli oil and put it into one of the two remaining empty compartments of the muffins form.
Put the form into the preheated oven and let everything get ready, it takes about 15 minutes.
Take the form out and let it cool off about 5 minutes. Then lift each pastry out of the form a table spoon will help you. Serve with some fresh sallad if you like, or enjoy them as they are.
Very important – don’t forget to enjoy a glass of redwine with it! After all it’s Friday night! But they also work with other beverages or plain water of course.
Thanks to @Bougie for posting this video on Twitter! It tells us what loads of people ever having tried to make a turkey must have thought loads of times, but never dared to admit, speak out loud etc. However, Aunt Mary doesn’t hesitate to share it with us …
Have fun watching! And cooking of course. 🙂
Following this video, I found another more serious one with Mary. Food Runners! A great initiative in San Francisco. To my mind such a service should be standard in every big (or even smaller) city in our Western world where we throw food away all too easily and without thinking.
Sometimes preparing a nice dinner is so easy. During lunch time one buys some nice chanterelles and some salad. Note: By no means take iceberg salad. Any other salad with more taste will be perfect. Just the tasteless, watery iceberg salad seems like an insult to all other fine ingredients.
Back home in the evening one takes a few fresh spices from the own balcony selection. In this case marjoram, thyme, basil and some parsley.
One starts with putting some olive oil into a pan and heats it. Once hot enough that it almost starts sizzling, one adds the chanterelles. Let them fry a bit, sometimes gently stir them till you see they are shrinking. Then towards the end add all spices and some ground black pepper.
When all is looking well enough to be served, take the pan off the fire. Only now add some salt, but not much.
The reason for not adding salt immediately is as you might know that all mushrooms suffer during the frying process. Salt destroys their cells and makes them loose all the water inside. And your pan with all that water becomes a flat pot with boiling mushrooms rather than frying ones.
The salad one already prepared in a bowl or on a large plate. Now one can simply place the chanterelles on top.
There are loads of variations of this one can try. The same recipe works with other types of mushrooms. One can also add some fresh tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and some greek feta. Do not take the one made from cow milk, I am talking proper feta made from sheep milk. Using cow milk feta is like using iceberg salad… .
Be creative and enjoy!
Ah yes. If you think this is not enough for a meal, then add some nice oven fresh garlic baguette.